Ćumurija Bridge was built around 1565, during the reign of Ottoman Empire in Sarajevo. We only know the builder of the bridge – Hadži-Hasan. Ćumurija was at that built built of wood and connected two mosques on both sides of the Miljacka river.
The bridge’s name derives from the word ćumur, meaning charcoal, which was thrown into the river from this bridge, and since XVI century name has stayed the same.
As the time passed by, the political, economic and social interactions changed as well as the people themselves. These interactions significantly influenced the city’s urban structure, so the mosque on the right side of Miljacka was demolished and replaced by larger buildings. In addition, a large park At Mejdan replaced housing on the left side, and the Ćumurija Bridge was renovated in 1886.
Since 1886 the bridge was no longer made out of wood, but instead made of recycled steel previously used for the construction of the railway line between Bosanski Brod and Zenica. It has survived unchanged until today.
The passage of time brought not only new materials to this bridge but also another function – vehicular and pedestrian traffic. Two big, steel arches of the bridge divide pedestrian traffic from vehicular traffic. The old wooden walkways are just a reminder of the old times and the history, and the never stopping change than can only be noticed by such small details.
written by Ena Hadžić, student of Faculty of Architecture, Sarajevo copyediting by Mirza Spužić, student of Faculty of Architecture, Sarajevo